Prepare for the most wonderful time of the year, with Lim Ken Jay !
The Stollen is a traditional German cake eaten by families during the Chistmas holidays. To ensure the best quality, Chef Ken Jay and his team create their own clarified butter from scratch. During this process, the butter selection in making the clarified butter is a very important decision.
Afterwards, the stollen can last the Christmas holidays for several weeks at room temperature.
You like the sound of it ? Then it’s a perfect timing for adding this joyful recipe to your Christmas menu !
RECIPE (Yield 20 Stollens)
MACERATE MIX FRUITS AND NUTS
- 1740g California Black Raisins
- 1740g USA Dried Cranberries
- 348g Umehara Orange Cut 5mm
- 232g Umehara Lemon Cut 5mm
- 194g Almond Whole Shelled with Skin
- 194g USA Walnuts Halves Shelled
- 194g Cashew Nuts Shelled
- 174g Rum
- Wash and steam raisins and cranberries. Sieve excess water.
- Mix fruits and nuts. Soak in rum two days before use.
PREPARE MOTHER DOUGH
- 464g Milk
- 92,8g Honey
- 31g Instant Yeast
- 174g Water
- 580g Levain
- 1044g Bread Flour
- 232g Natural Yogurt
- Heat up milk and honey under 30°C. Dissolve yeast in milk and water. Add in the rest of the ingredients. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Leave in 5°C chiller for 20-30 minutes.
PREPARE MAIN DOUGH, DIVIDE, FORM & RISE
- 1300g Elle & Vire® Unsalted Gourmet Butter Roll
- 372g Marzipan
- 37g Salt
- 37g Vanilla Sugar
- 2 Vanilla Sticks
- 62g Christstollen Spices
- 19g Lemon Juice
- 35g Lemon Zest
- 116g Egg Yolks
- 93g Castor Sugar
- 754g Bread Flour
- 754g Cake Flour
- Soften the butter. Beat the butter and marzipan.
- Gradually add salt, vanilla sugar, vanilla sticks, Christstollen spices, lemon juice, lemon zest, egg yolks and sugar. Beat over high speed after each addition.
- Add butter mixture to the flour mix. Combine with hands.
- Add mother starter. Mix at slow speed until well-combined.
Tip: Do not overmix to prevent gluten development.
5. Add mixed fruits and nuts. Mix well.
6. Divide the dough into 20 pieces.
7. Form each dough into a rough, high log. Just pat into shape, no rolling or stretching.
8. Leave for 15-20 minutes.
SHAPING WITH MARZIPAN LOG MIDDLE & BAKE
- 344g Milk
- 688g Castor Sugar
- 1118g Fine Ground Almond
- 52g Rum
- Boil milk and sugar. Add in ground almond, rum and cook until well combined.
- Scrape marzipan onto a clean surface and form into a log around 8cm long.
- When shaping the Stollen, roll in the marzipan.
- Insert shaped dough into stollenform.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200°C/180°C for 45 minutes, remove cover, reduce oven heat to 180°C/180°C and bake for another 15 minutes until golden brown.
SOAK IN CLARIFIED BUTTER (100G PER STOLLEN)
- 4kg Elle & Vire® Unsalted Gourmet Butter Roll, Cut into Cubes
- Heat the butter in a heavy-duty saucepan over very low heat, until it’s melted. Let simmer gently until the foam rises to the top of the melted butter.
- Once the butter stops spluttering, and no more foam rising to the surface, remove from heat and skim off the foam.
- Carefully pour the warm butter through a mesh strainer into a heatproof container, leaving behind any solids.
- Dip each still warm Stollen in 100g of clarified butter, until all absorbed.
- Leave Stollen to dry overnight.
FINAL SUGAR COAT (100G PER STOLLEN)
- 50g Icing Sugar
- 50g Trehalose
- Sprinkle generously to coat Stollen.
- The stollen’s then wrapped in baking sheet and another layer of aluminium foil to allow aging at 18°C for a month.
- Then a second powdered sugar coat before wrapping it up again for sale.