Meet Angelo Musa
In 2008, Chef Angelo Musa — World Pastry Champion in 2003 and Best Craftsman of France, baking category, 2007 — launched his consulting firm Papilio Conseil. The Metz-born Chef reveals his secrets for a successful presentation.
- WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR JOURNEY THUS FAR?
- At first, I wanted to be a cook simply because I was not aware I could be a Pastry Chef! After three years of training at the Hospitality School of Metz, I was in a motorcycle accident which prevented me from passing the practice test. Ready to jump into work, I undertook a one-year training. The training included three-week internships, one of which I did at the Bourguignon Bakery (Metz, France). Following this fi rst experience, I spent a year by Claude Bourguignon’s side who encourage me to pursue a “sweet” internship at Lenôtre and a baking NVQ (French CAP). Then after five years at Oberweis Luxembourg, I joined Pascal Caffet — Best Craftsman of France baking category. With his support, I entered and won the France Cup in 2001, then the World Cup in 2003. Consultant since 2008, I counselled the Bourguignon Bakery for two years in 2013. In April 2016, I took over Christophe Michalak at the Plaza Athénée in Paris.
- HOW DO YOU RETHINK PASTRY-MAKING’S CLASSICS?
- In my opinion, there is no limit to reinterpretation if not only to respect the seasons and the original flavour of the product. I often worked praline cream and choux pastry to recreate a Paris-Brest in the spirit of the initial crown—this is how I came up with a Paris-Brest in the shape of a bike tire. In each portion, I add a runny praline centre to add extra taste and some innovation.
- WHAT ARE YOUR SECRETS TO SUCCEED IN MAKING YOUR PRESENTATIONS WITH SUBLIME, CREAM WITH MASCARPONE?
- It is important not to whisk the cream too much and to master the gesture so as to have Sublime, Elle & Vire® Cream with Mascarpone, keep a good hold. I would advise to finish the expansion by hanger and light sweeten the cream to 8%. For a beautiful presentation, I recommend using Saint-Honoré sockets — quite fashionable — and to work the volume so as to bring a gourmet touch and create an appeal vision.
- WHAT ARE THE ELLE & VIRE PROFESSIONNEL® PRODUCTS THAT YOU CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT? WHY?
- I use the Excellence Whipping Cream for its excellent expansion ratio, authentic taste, and easiness of use. The Extra Dry Butter is also one of my favourites. Additionally, I had the opportunity to try the Original American Cream Cheese during a demonstration at La Maison de la Crème Elle & Vire®.
- IN WHAT WAY DOES SUBLIME, CREAM WITH MASCARPONE, DISTINGUISHES ITSELF FROM OTHER CREAMS?
- Light and gourmet at the same time, Sublime, Cream with Mascarpone, brings smoothness to desserts. Its texture is very nice in the mouth as well.
Ask your question to the chefs
Contact them to this firstname.lastname@example.org
Discover the universe of Angelo Musa The recipes of a great chef...